Pages

August 07, 2015

Lowe's Allegedly Replaced Black Delivery Driver With White Man To Accommodate Racist Customer

A Lowe’s delivery driver in Danville, Virginia, says that the company reassigned his delivery when a woman refused to let him into her home because he is black, reports ABC 13.
In his 11 years working for the Danville store, Marcus Bradley had never experienced anything quite like what he saw last Monday. The worst part, he says, is that the home improvement store accommodated the racist request.
“I got a phone call on the phone telling me to bring the delivery back. Saying that I couldn't do the delivery," said Bradley. "I asked him why I couldn't do it and he said because you're black and they don't want you at the house."
When reporters interviewed the woman who refused to let Bradley enter her home, she said, "I got a right to have whatever I want and that's it,” and added, "No, I don't feel bad about nothing.”
Alex Brooks, who has worked with Bradley for almost 11 years, was with Bradley in the truck when the call to return to the store came in.
"To me, it just ain't right for a business that we work at to go on with the woman's wishes," said Brooks.
Store management apparently disagreed, as a white driver completed the delivery once the two returned.
"I mean, I thought that Lowe's would take up for me," said Bradley.
According to their official statement, it looks as though Lowe’s fired the supervisor who made the call to replace Bradley, reports Breaking Brown.
“Diversity and inclusion is a core value at Lowe's,” reads the corporate statement.
“The situation brought to our attention was troubling and an investigation was immediately undertaken.
“Under no circumstances should a discriminatory delivery request be honored as it is inconsistent with our diversity and inclusion core values and the request should have been refused.
“The investigation has concluded and the individuals involved are no longer with company.”
Despite his disappointment with the incident, Bradley he has no plans to take action or look for another place of employment.
"I'm going to keep going to work like I've always done,” he said. “But I would think Lowe's would take it into consideration to think about what they're doing next time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment