Pages

November 14, 2014

Unlike Brits, Americans don't think tax is morally right: "Most Americans think that their moral right to keep the money they earn trumps their duty to contribute towards public services, the exact opposite of attitudes in Britain"

Most Americans think that their moral right to keep the money they earn trumps their duty to contribute towards public services, the exact opposite of attitudes in Britain

Compared to Americans, Britons enjoy a range of public services that don't exist in the US: universal healthcare, generous benefits and a range of other protections that British people still call the 'welfare state'. These services aren't cheap, however, and people in Britain pay for it. In the United States the tax burden is 25.1% of GDP, but in Britain taxes consume 35.5% of the total economy. 
The latest research from YouGov shows that most Americans (53%) say that your right to keep the money you earn is a stronger moral argument than a duty to contribute towards public services, something only 37% of Americans feel is the stronger moral issue. The situation is reversed in Britain, where 63% of people say that your duty to contribute is a stronger moral argument than your right to keep the money you earn.
Attitudes differ so significantly between the US and the UK that the responses of Democrats in the US are largely the same as the responses of right-wing, Conservative Party voters in the UK. 56% of Democrats and 55% of Conservatives say that the duty to contribute to public services is the stronger moral argument. This compares to 71% of left-wing Labour voters in the UK, and only 24% of Republicans in the US. 

Source:today.yougov.com

17 comments:

  1. Yes, but then again America is an archaic crumbling craphole of imbeciles. 'Coming from Northern Europe back to the USA is like leaving the Jetsons and returning to the Flinstones'' - NYT reporter quipped in 2011. Frankly I tripled my income the day I left the USA 25 years ago and even with higher taxes I still have way more disposable income than when I lived in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't feel a moral obligation to clothe, feed, teach, or otherwise take care of the crotch fruit of someone who, instead of believing in work, believes I owe them something just for their existence. This negative reinforcement of "why should I work, when the State will take care of me" is exactly what the state wants. They do not want people who will take care of themselves, as every person who does so diminishes the State's power just that more.
    Taxes are slavery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are still an American citizen, then you still have to pay income taxes to the USA, in addition to whatever you're paying wherever you are. So, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you feel a moral obligation to spend 50x more of your taxes on wars than the 1% you spend on food stamps? You should be 50x more angry about the Pentagon than food stamps, if it were in proportion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Officially renounced last year. I know all about IRS code so don't try and teach me. YOU can make up to 90k a year tax free outside of the USA. which I did. have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No. And angry accomplishes nothing in America, unless you are LGBTQWTF.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, don't try and educate me about IRS code. I told you I was offically bonafide overseas resident as per IRS code. Can make up to 90k a year tax free., Now since having renounced I don't pay anything because I am retired .

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH, and here is something you may not know. I collect US social security because you do NOT need to be a citizen to collect it. All you need to have done is pay into the system for 40 quarters which I qualified for LONG ago. I also collect SS from Germany, Luxembourg and NL because I paid into their system . See, you learn new things everyday. Your welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. You're starting to sound European Butthurt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you, unclezip! Frankly, I'm sick and tired of all the dead beats who mooch off the taxpayers and contribute nothing to society, except more generations of welfare recipients. But, the Democrats need a permanent underclass to guarantee votes for them, so welfare will never go away, and if Obama manages to get away with this executive order, giving amnesty to the illegals, we'll have democrat regimes into perpetuity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I worked all my life and never took unemployment. Unlike you leeches who live off the govt. Take a hike, you know nothing clown .

    ReplyDelete
  12. UncleZio refers to his ZIP brain cells. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. You say your butthurts? Well that happens when faggots like you bend over for every Tom, Dick and Harry. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. UncleZiphead. I hope your one brain cell which is on life support soon recovers. You are one of those clowns who knows nothing and doesn't want to learn anything. That is why you are such a loser. I asked questions when young and got information which has allowed me to live the good life and never be unemployed. Now get me that burger I ordered, you sniveling little loser. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. They should do away with taxes and let you pave your own roads and police your own neighborhood and take yourself to the hospital if you are dying. I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  16. More proof the American education system is lacking...in math.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My gas tax paves the road - don't drive, no tax. I don't need the police (they are a relatively new construct, ~200 years, and failing); as I can protect myself from all of those little things out there that terrify. And hospitals charge you for coming in. Ergo, no tax.

    ReplyDelete