Pages

May 17, 2013

A MAN with a tattoo in the middle of his forehead has spoken of his confusion at not being able to get a job.

A MAN with a tattoo in the middle of his forehead has spoken of his confusion at not being able to get a job.
Yusuf Hameed has applied for 450 roles over the last year, including a car wash attendant and a street cleaner.
But the 40-year-old from Batley, West Yorks, says the feedback is always the same — employers are turned off by his body art.
As well as the Buddhist symbol on his face, Yusuf has two Thai boxing designs and a yin yang symbol on the back of his head.
But he believes potential bosses should be more open-minded about his inkings.
Yusuf said: “It is really getting me down and it is so hard to think that these tattoos are such a strong barrier against me getting a job.
“I’ve been doing everything the job centre has told me and attended all my interviews but they take one look at my tattoos and won’t give me a chance.
“I can just see the person opposite me lose eye contact and focus on my tattoos.
“I’m more than qualified for a lot of the jobs I have been for but they all tell me my tattoos do not fit the company image."
Yusuf got his first tattoo at the age of 14, but says he now wishes he had never had them done.
He added: “I used to hang around with a lot of lads older than me and they started getting them.
“I suppose it was peer pressure, but as a mature person I would not have got them, especially seeing the reaction from strangers."
However, Yusuf remains hopeful that an employer will eventually look past his body art and give him an opportunity.
He said: “People generalise and think I am not bothered about working and that I am a freeloader.
“I want employers to judge me on my skills and they will find out I’ve got lots to offer.
“Even if it is a week's trial, I just need that chance.”

1 comment:

  1. It wouldn't bother me if I were hiring. I think it's kinda cool. But I'm just a po' honky-gringo-cracka who's barely employed, so that's kind of a dead issue.

    ReplyDelete