The realization kicks in: cold and flu season has arrived. And if you’re going to make it through the season without getting sick, or at least aim to reduce the amount of time you spend being sick, you’ll need to be prepared. Here are a few helpful items (and tips) to add to your arsenal of natural remedies:
- Nucleotides – They are the building blocks from which RNA and DNA are made. They boost the immunity, heal damaged cell tissue, promote the growth of new cells, and improve circulation. If you’re lucky enough to take them as soon as you feel a tickle in your throat, you might actually have a chance of avoiding the cold or flu altogether. But if a cold has had a chance to become full-blown, you may need something more.
- Vitamin C – Making sure to include plenty of foods rich in Vitamin C in your diet will increase the body’s production of white blood cells and antibodies needed to defend the body against invading viral infections. Foods high in Vitamin C are tangerines, oranges, mangos, kiwis, papayas, and goji berries. Also, amla berries contain twenty times more Vitamin C per pound than oranges. In Ayurvedic tradition, amla is often taken in powdered form.
- Vitamin D – A deficiency in our body’s immunity is often related to a lack of Vitamin D. Sunshine, the ultimate source of Vitamin D, is crucial for our existence, and for all life on our planet. So even if you’re feeling under the weather, try to get some exposure to the sun. People who have more Vitamin D stored up in their bodies tend to not get as sick as people who are Vitamin D deficient.
- When you’re sick, it is always good to cut out dairy, especially if you’re producing a lot of mucus. Dairy enhances the production of mucus.
- Panchakarma – As mentioned earlier, Panchakarma is an Ayurvedic detoxifying and rejuvenation treatment that consists of five therapies. Panchakarma is known to alleviate many ailments: allergies, skin disorders, rheumatitis, high blood pressure, diabetes, back pain, arthritis, headaches, depression, the cold and flu, and more. As panchakarma helps to detox the body and its various organs, the body becomes stronger and healthier. When we are healthy, our immunity is stronger and we are less likely to become ill. Panchakarma helps us to get rid of viral infections by making our bodies strong enough to fight off colds and other infections. Just remember, Panchakarma can be a bit pricey so if it’s beyond your price limit, you can always stick to the other remedies.