Norwegian mass killer Anders Breivik planned to bomb President Barack Obama as he came to collect his Nobel Peace Price in 2009, it has been claimed.
Anders Behring Breivik in court in Oslo
The far-Right extremist told Norwegian police of a plot to drive a car packed with explosives onto the square next to Oslo City Hall, and detonate it while the ceremony was taking place there, according to Norway's Dagbladet newspaper.
Breivik, 33,told police that the Obama attack would have been largely symbolic, as the security surrounding the visit would have prevented him bringing the vehicle sufficiently close to the ceremony.
But, with hundreds of millions watching on television, he believed it would have been a perfect way to promote his anti-Islamic message.
Anti-war demonstrators gathered outside the Oslo Town Hall when Mr Obama went to pick up the prize in December 2009, protesting at his decision to increase the number of US troops in Afghanistan.
Others argued that it was wrong to give Mr Obama an award won previously by Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa and Martin Luther King, less than a year after he took office.
The plot is similar to the bombing of government buildings Breivik carried out last July, hours before he drove to a youth camp on the island of Utoya to commit what Norwegian prosecutors have described as Norway's worst atrocity of modern times.
Breivik has admitted to carrying out the attacks on July 22, which left 77 people dead, but claims they were "necessary" to alert the Norwegian people to what he believes is a creeping Islamic takeover.
The trial is set to begin on April 16, almost nine months after he carried out the attacks.
Prosecutors said last that month they would proceed on the assumption that Breivik is insane, following the recommendations of the official forensic psychiatric report, and argue that he be forcibly committed to a mental institution.
But this may change if a second psychiatric report, commissioned by the court in January on the request of families of his victims, and expected to be made public on April 10, concludes that Breivik should be held responsible.